Disclosure: this article contains affiliate links. All opinions are 100% my own.
Hygeia EnJoye Double Electric Breast Pump Review
The Hygeia EnJoye is not the best known breast pump, but some interesting points differentiate it from more well known brands. First, the Hygeia EnJoye is fully recyclable. Since it is a closed system, it can be passed on to another mom.Hygeia sells separate accessory kits (flanges, tubing, etc) so a clean set can be available for each person who will use the pump. Even better, you can also return it to Hygeia for recycling if you no longer need it and don’t have anyone to pass it on to.
Second the pump helps stimulate the milk ejection reflex (let down) in a very unique way – it plays the sound of a baby crying! The pump also allows you to record the sound of your own baby!! I like to watch videos of my son while pumping, so I thought this was a nice feature, especially if I am pumping when I can’t watch videos.
EnJoye comes in two options – regular and cordless. The cordless has an internal, rechargeable, battery, and is better for moms who might not have easy access to an electrical outlet while pumping. The regular version can also run on battery power with 8 AA batteries.
What’s in the box?
The Hygeia EnJoye pump comes with everything you need to pump, store, and transport expressed milk. A large tote bag is provided for the pump and accessories. There is also a cooler bag with an ice pack.
- 1 EnJoye pump motor
- 2 27mm breast flanges
- 2 pieces of 40 inch long tubing
- 2 milk collection bottles (4 oz. / 120mL size) with lids
- 2 bottle caps/feeder cups (no nipple/ teat is included)
- 2 duckbill valves
- 2 rings and ring covers
- 2 pump filters
- 2 small neck bottle adapters
- 1 bottle holder
- 1 AC adapter
- 1 external battery pack (for regular version)
- 1 Tote Bag
- 1 cooler bag with ice pack
- Instructions for Use
Hygeia Enjoye Double Electric Breast Pump Pros:
- Closed system – Means the pump is hygienic (but, this is achieved through a filter, which I think could technically be penetrated by the milk, so I’d also say this is also a potential con)
- Independent speed and suction strength controls – Can adjust speed and suction strength individually to mimic how your baby nurses. This is my favorite feature in breast pumps because you can pump most efficiently this way. For example, when your baby is actively drinking milk, they are typically swallowing at a steady pace with strong suction – you can mimic this exactly with the pump to express milk quickly.
- Pre-recorded sound of baby crying plus option to record your own baby – this can help to stimulate let down
- Lightweight – Weighing in at about 2 pounds it is easy to carry. Both versions can run on battery power (one with the built-in rechargeable battery, the other with 8 AA batteries in the external battery pack), so you can pump anywhere.
- Compatibility – comes with an adaptor for small neck bottles so both wide and narrow neck bottles can be used with the pump
Hygeia EnJoye Double Electric Breast Pump Review Cons:
- Closed system achieved by use of a filter which could still be penetrated by milk – so you will have to wash tubing on occasion because unlike other closed system pumps with a barrier to protect the tubing and motor, milk can pass through this filter at times
- Replacement parts are harder to come by – since it is a less popular brand of breast pump few stores stock parts and you will have to order online if you need replacement or additional parts and accessories
- Does not have a let down function – you can play the sound of a baby crying but it does not have a present let down function to stimulate milk expression. You need to adjust the pump yourself to stimulate let down and then express milk
Should you buy the Hygeia EnJoye Double Electric Breast Pump?
This pumps allows you to pump efficiently since you can adjust speed and suction separately. It also has good suction. However, it is a bit bulky to carry around and the closed system can potentially be penetrated by milk, so you might still have to wash the tubing. Also, although you can listen to the sound of a baby crying while trying to stimulate letdown, the pump does not have a preset letdown function so you will have to adjust the pump yourself to stimulate letdown. Read more and see it on Amazon!